A ‘lemon’ cake – surely not! In HoniesKitchen - oh yes :o
During the preparations of the NCT Cheeky Monkeys Tea Party (24th June), I had decided that I would bake a Lemon Loaf Cake – but as there was a need for lots of cakes at the event (one promised for every ticket holder), then I thought I’d better make it a rather big cake – so a 2lb baby of a cake was decided upon!
As usual in HoniesKitchen, this is a simple recipe (honestly) and the kids can most definitely get involved: egg breaking, measuring, sifting, mixing is not just for the
more sensible, bigger people.
I assured you it was easy to make and here’s how:
21b Lemon Loaf Cake (for a 1lb cake just half the measurements and the cooking time)
- 250g (8oz) butter (room temperature) or soft margarine
- 250g (8oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 250g (8oz) self-raising flour
- 100g (4oz) plain flour
- The grated rind and juice of 2 lemons.
- Cream the butter/margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy, using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer. beat the eggs and milk in a separate bowl.
- Mix the floors together and gradually fold into the butter/sugar mixture – alternate with adding the egg/milk mixture.
- Add the grated rind and lemon juice.
- Mix till smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased and lined (use baking paper, snipped at the corners to fit or a purpose-made liner).
- Level the mixture with a palette knife.
- Bake in a preheated oven (160 degrees C / 325 degrees F / Gas mark 3) for an hour and a half.
- Use a skewer to test – if it comes out clean, it’s ready!