It’s all about ‘lemon’ in HoniesKitchen lately – maybe not! But, it seems to be.
After using Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Lemon curd and Limoncello in my recently made pots of Lemon Fool – nobody was fooling me – that tasted tangyummylicious …. I came across some of Mrs Darlington’s Legendary Lemon Curd, while at Silvesters Farm in Euxton, Chorley today and …. a neat little recipe for Lemon Curd Cupcakes to boot.
What a coincidence! I just ‘have’ to make some, yes!
- 350g self raising flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 2 lemons (zested & juiced)
- 2 eggs (free range) beaten
- 150ml soured cream
- 150g Lemon Curd (always choose a good one)
- 100g butter
Cream Topping ingredients:
- 150ml double cream
- 3 tbls Lemon curd
- Lemon zest (for decoration)
- Heat the oven to 180 C fan/200 C / Gas 6
- Stir the beaten eggs with the soured cream and lemon curd.
- Blend the flour, sugar, lemon juice & zest, egg mixture and butter together.
- Spoon into 12 muffin cases
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins until golden and risen
- Remove from the oven, leave in tray for 5 mins and then transfer cases onto a wire rack – allow to cool.
For the topping:
- Mix the lemon curd and cream together and whip until thick and creamy (about 5 mins)
- Spoon the mixture onto the tops of the cakes and decorate with lemon zest on each
Get the kids involved – they can:
- Help with the measuring – good basic maths
- Crack the eggs – sometimes messy, but with practice builds confidence in the kitchen and it’s fun
- Stir the ingredients – see how it changes colour consistency
- Spoon the mixture into the cases – good fine and gross motor skills as well as great co-ordination and guessing the right amount
It’s more fun when the kids join in and they learn good lifeskills – great way to get them to eat what they bake as well as quality time.