There are lots of recipes to choose from at Halloween. For me combining the joy of pumpkin carving and using what you have to create your Halloween Fayre, makes for a more traditional Halloween – Pumpkin Cake is a must for any table at this festive time.
For more Halloween recipes see HoniesKitchen, For Halloween inspiration see recent posts on my blog. To make delicious Pumpkin Cake follow this recipe.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups pumpkin puree or cooked mashed *pumpkin
- (*You can use your own Pumpkin flesh after carving one out (an ice cream scoop is ideal for this) – bake at 180 C for 1 hour or steam for 30 mins or slow cook on high for 1 hour and on warm till you are ready and then sieve the excess fluid.)
- cream cheese frosting, below
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preparation of Pumpkin Cake:
Combine sugar, vegetable oil, and eggs in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Sift dry ingredients into a separate bowl; stir into oil mixture, beating well. Stir in pumpkin puree.
Pour batter into two greased and floured 9-inch round layer cake pans. Bake at 350° (180C) for 35 to 40 minutes. Turn out onto racks to cool.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 pound confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients in large mixing bowl; beat well until smooth. Makes enough for 2-layer pumpkin cake.
Frost pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting and sprinkle with chopped pecans.
For a more effective look – slice the cake into layers and put frosting in-between. Drizzle with maple syrup.
Inspired from a recipe given by a friend