Houmous is a great dish for dipping, as a spread or as a side dish. Full of nutrients this vegetarian (vegan even) dish is also gluten free.
- 150g (dried) chickpeas (or a tin already soaked)
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 120-140ml olive oil
*If using a tin of chickpeas, rinse and drain and go straight to step 3
- Soak the chickpeas overnight in a bowl of water.
- Drain, then boil in a pan of fresh water for 45 minutes-1 hour until very tender. Drain and cool.
- Place in a food processor with the lemon zest and juice, 3 tbsp tahini and 2 large garlic cloves. Whizz while gradually adding 120-140ml olive oil.
- Season well with sea salt and serve with toast*, vegetable crudités or as a side dish.
- You can add flavourings such as coriander (1tsp); spring onions (4 chopped) or red pepper (half a roasted pepper, sieved) to houmous. Experiment with your own ideas.
*If serving with toast, remember to choose gluten free alternatives if you want to keep the dish gluten free